That’s right, everyone thinks a salesperson is perhaps not a very nice person, especially when they interrupt your day, through cold calls, knocking on your door, and now with the wonder of social media, we can have sales people interrupting our “social” technology time.

When it comes to your business, however, you need to be able to see the possibility of using social media as a marketing tool, as well as a customer service tool and brand awareness tool. So, how can you use social media to sell your products, without making your followers feel you are a salesperson?

I like to have a few ideas on hand when it comes to getting your products out there, through the world of social media:

  1. The 80/20 rule – one we stick to here at New Media Angels – 80% of content created is engaging, interesting and not to do with the products or services our clients provide, enabling followers to want to reshare and engage with the content. The other 20% is awesome sales content, sharing new products, and special offers. This isn’t to say the 80% doesn’t include links to our client’s blogs or website pages, but it doesn’t mean it’s a sales pitch – you can learn the difference and when you do, your content will engage even more willing fans who will want to buy from you.
  2. Connect with people Рthey want to have conversations, so when you see content from others go up that you want to connect with, or chat about, do it! They will love you for it, and will do the same in return with you. You can also add people to lists so you can filter out the noise of your home feed.
  3. Be yourself Рthe beauty of what we do for our clients is we become them, almost ghost writers, and learn their values, ethics and quirks. If your brand is humourous, you need to have a fun and quirky style to your content and engagement. If your brand is luxurious, the same needs to apply Рyou need to create a luxe feel around your content, with eloquent wording and imagery.

We always think the word social is the key element of social media, whether it’s Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Ello or Pinterest (and so many others!) you need to remember the social side of this medium. Brands are using these sites to promote sales, and you can be the unique brand in this area, the brand that wants to connect and communicate with your followers, not have link-heavy and salesy content that can be scrolled over so easily.

Think about your business as a whole – what do you want to be remembered for, what are your key values and style? This will truly help when you, or your social media management team are creating content and engaging with your fans.

Get our super duper newsletter

Get our super duper newsletter

Sign up to receive a monthly concoction of digital marketing news, business tools and tips.

Wahoo! You're in!

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This